Senran Kagura Episode 1 Impression

Ah fanservice, I have an odd relationship with thee. On one hand, I LOVE it, but I believe it alone cannot carry a story. It's the reason why I love Queen's Blade season two, but I don't care for the first season as much. (Rebellion is okay so far though). Now, Senran Kagura is based on the 3DS (and soon PS VITA) title of the same name. You basically get to control a bunch of ass-kicking busty women who fight against ninja and it has a clothes ripping system when you take damage; that alone is enough to pique my interest (yeah, yeah I know I'm shallow), but as I am still learning Japanese, and the fact that I wound need to import a Japanese 3DS to play it, means that I could never try the game anytime soon. When I learned that there was an anime adaption of the game I decided that I would give it a try, and I've got to say that if you expect a light sugary anime you will also be surprised.

The anime revolves around four girls: Asuka, Ikaruga, Katsuagi, Yagyuu and Hibari who attend the National Hanzo academy. This school which at first looks like a typical Japanese school, is secretly a training ground for ninja. The girls all have some trope to them, like Hibari is clumsy, Ikaruga is the serious girl, and Katsuragi is the pervert. Pretty standard fare for this type of anime.

The first thing I noticed about this anime is that the fight scenes are very well done, they are very fluid and exciting to watch. I wasn't expecting a lot of action and I hope it will continue. The characters that you are introduced to are also very likable, especially Asuka who is a very active and cheerful person.


All that said though, the main focus is on the fanservice. All the ladies are well endowed and it shows with all the breast jiggling and (intentional) loss of clothing during battles and whenever it deems necessary; Katsuragi even gropes the other girls a lot as well. Thus, if half naked girls isn't your cup of tea, I suggest you stay far far away.

One complaint I have with the show though is the lighting. The dark scenes are far too dark, though I think that may be due to the lighting on my computer.

Overall, I've got to say I was expecting a typical fanservice anime, and what I got was that but with some good action tossed in which is always great. The characters are interesting and the first episode sets up the premise, introducing the viewers to both the heroes and villians. I'll leave you here with some more screenshots and PV's. Feel free to leave any comments on your impression of the show.










This scene made me laugh!

 Hibari's Eyes!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rin!!!! (11/1/2017)

I'm on Starlight Stage!!

Happy Birthday Murasaki!!! (10/26/2017)